Sunday 22 June 2008

Good old Rod Liddle

One of the few habits of mine which I would whole-heartedly recommend to others is devoting the first sentient few minutes of one's Sunday morning to reading Rod Liddle's columns in the Sunday Times. There are two of them; one general and one on sport, and a guaranteed laugh-out-loud on a Sunday morning is not to be sneezed at.

Today, after some good stuff on the vile Peter Mandelson, he gives a big-up to Naomi Campbell for swearing and spitting at wankers at Heathrow Airport after they lost her baggage, and started to tell her what her "options" were, as if the whole thing were her responsibility. Rod adds: "I always say you can judge how ghastly a place is by the number of signs telling you not to lamp the staff. At Heathrow there’s one every few yards. Campbell, to her credit, ignored them."

Yes, I've recently been travelling by rail a fair bit, and I've noticed too that there are signs everywhere telling you not to kick shit out of railway employees, as if in recognition of the fact that that would be the normal impulse of any rail traveller. But I wouldn't go as far as Rod or Naomi. I'm looking into the cost of producing sheets of stickers, to be sold to commuters and plastered onto these signs, saying "ATTACK THE BOSSES INSTEAD!" Just a thought. In the same way as all these bank advertisements asking "Are you worried about poverty in old age?" and suchlike. They just cry out for stickers proclaiming "HA-HA! WE AREN'T!"

6 comments:

Jo said...

I stumbled across this blog when I googled '... whose name cannot be mentioned'. And I noticed that you have written alot here, but you don't seem to have (m)any readers. I'm curious to know why you have a blog. I have one - it's read by one friend of mine and that's that. It has kind of replaced our usual emails. And it's fun.

Why do you post yours?

Tamburlaine the Great said...

Interesting question. I suppose the answer is that I live quite a long way away from the friends with whom I'd normally sound off in the pub. Some of them do read it but don't comment much. And it enables my children to follow what I'm doing, just like their Facebook pages allow me to follow what they're doing. Or maybe I just like the sound of my own voice, as it were. Still, you're always welcome!

Ken said...

OK, why not try linking to each other from the sidebars of your blogs? Should give you a few hits each day.

"You took my thing" is not registered with Google and the only way to fix that is to get in-links. Try writing to other bloggers asking them if they will just mention you in a post. It sometimes works.

If you want to know how many hits you do get, try installing a hit counter!

Jo said...

Oh, no, as I said, my blog really just exists for a friend and I. I don't really want more hits - just from my mate, really! Most of my posts are personal anyway, so they wouldn't make much sense to anyone else (not to mention the billion expletives!)

Thank you anyway. Your blog is really interesting. It's fun just putting stuff out there, no matter who reads it. You're English? But you reside where?

Ken said...

Yeah, I'm English and I live in Mexico City.

Tamburlaine the Great said...

I am also English - indeed, an old university friend of The Exile - and I live in Lancaster.